Monday, March 14, 2011

What's In A Name?

We kept Addison's name a secret while we were expecting because we didn't want to hear people's opinions on the name and everyone always has an opinion. My experience has been that people are a little better at keeping their opinions to themselves when they see the precious baby in front of them. I did slip up and let a few people know the name and these were the responses I received:

1) From my sister: "you can't name your baby Addison because I want her to call me Addy." When I was a baby I had a hard time pronouncing her name and called my sister, Alison, Addy and since she decided that was what she wanted Addison to call her then I couldn't name her Addison...too bad! Just so you know, we aren't calling Addison Addy...if that's what we wanted her to be called, we would have named her Addy. I'm sure as she gets older she will choose to be called Addy just to spite me! :)

2) From my cousin: "you can't name your baby Addison it sounds like a hotel...yea the Radisson!"

So, from then on it was mums the word on the name until she arrived. We did let people know her initials because I got so much lip about friends and family wanting to have gifts monogrammed. Brandon's nieces were the worst cluprits when it came to trying to guess the name and the guessing game was elevated when they found out the initials. They asked what each inital stood for and we denied the first A and the E, then when they asked about the last A, we told them Abadie. It was so cute, one of them (I think it was Rachel) said, "Hey, that's our last name!" I thought it was so funny!

Even in the hospital we didn't tell any of the staff her name until her birth because I was afraid someone would spill the beans and then the opinions would flow. Since her arrival and the announcement of her name, I've had no complaints or differing opinions, everyone agrees her name is just as beautiful as she is.

A few people have asked how we chose her name and that's an easy one. We wanted to pick a name that reminded us of our trip to Chicago, where she was conceived. We did a little research and a lot of discussion and realized that Wrigley Field is on Addison street in Chicago...hence Addison. I loved it right away and loved it even more since it was significant to our trip. Her middle name, Elaine was an agreed upon family name - my mother's middle name and Brandon's grandmother's name. So...Addison Elaine Abadie she it, most of the time!

At other times she is many different names. I have found it quite complicated to call her by her name after 9 months of loving her in utero without using her name. I mostly called her baby girl A, baby girl, bump, etc. never using her name so as not to ruin the surprise. Now I mostly call her baby girl but have also mistakenly called her Millie on more than on occasion and embarrassingly enough have even called her a "good puppy" when she gives a good burp or takes a good nap. It's strange how when you are accustomed to having a four-legged baby, it takes some getting use to a real baby.

I'm pretty sure she will be confused too since I don't too often call her by her own name. If you ask her she'd probably tell you her name is Pretty Princess since that is what I call her the most! It could be worse, I guess?!?


Pretty Princess

Don't forget your green on Thursday...have a happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment