Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Hump Day

Happy hump day everyone...hope you are all ready for Thanksgiving! This week the following things put a smile on my face:


1) Taco de Paco came to work! Yes, I know it sounds strange to get so excited but with the only two choices of Subway and the hospital cafeteria, any new options are very exciting. Taco de Paco is part of the "food truck revolution" in Baton Rouge and they travel around town at various locations selling tacos and burritos out of their truck. I was so excited to see they would be at OLOL on Tuesday and had to check it out. I had the Juan taco (chopped steak, corn relish, sour cream) and the Miguel taco (chicken, sauteed onions, bell peppers, pico de gallo, cheese, and shredded lettuce) with chips, salsa and a drink for only $7...you can't beat that, and it was delish!


2) Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie - it's on the menu for Thanksgiving and I made it yesterday for the occasion and can't wait to partake. I got the recipe as a marketing tool from a home health company a few years back and have been making it for the holidays each year since. Last year I baked a bunch of them and gave them to all the neighbors for Christmas and they were a hit. Here's the recipe if you're interested (or if you're Amanda, who asked for it!)


Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
1 cup chocolate chips
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup melted butter
1 cup pecans
1/2 cup flour
9" deep dish pie shell

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, beat eggs. Add flour, sugar and butter. Stir until blended. Add in chocolate chips and pecans, pour into pie shell and bake for 1 hour.


Please be sure to get the deep dish pie shell because last year I didn't do that and almost burnt the house down. The pie filling overflowed and got on the bottom of the oven. I guess it was the sugar or possibly the pecans, not really sure, but there was a flame in the bottom of the oven! It's super easy and very yummy!


3) Generic drugs for Millie - last time we brought Millie to the vet she informed us of our "last option" to treat her allergies, which is an oral medication that works by suppressing her immune system, thereby suppressing her allergy response. The kicker...cost is about $100/month to treat! HOLY COW...I've been so upset about it, wondering what the heck we're going to do. I told her yesterday I was going to drop her off at the Country Club of Louisiana and hope a rich family adopts her because we can't afford her anymore. She was very upset, looking at me over her shoulder (cold shoulder, that is) with her bottom lip stuck out, it was as if she understood what I was telling her. So, imagine my delight when I did a little internet research and found a generic is available. Now, most of what I read online is that it isn't as effective as the real drug but I'd like to at least try the generic at first!


Happy hump day to all of you and hope each and everyone of you have a very happy Thanksgiving!


1 comment: