Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Happy Hump Day!


Addison and I had a wonderful day together today. I took the day off and we had a mommy daughter play date. I started my day by volunteering at the Scholastic book fair at school, got to visit with another mom volunteer and got some shopping done ( birthdays and Christmas - check!).  

It was Christmas picture day at school and she finally got a chance to wear one of her Fall Kelly's Kids dresses. I drove her to school in just her underclothes because I was trying to minimize the wrinkles. She got a kick out of it. 


After my shift at the book fair was over, I spent time in her class sharing what little I know about Christmas in Mexico. Her teacher is doing Christmas around the world and asked each family to present on a country's holiday tradition and a craft to make an ornament. I read a book I found at the library and made sombreros. 


After craft time, she and I hit the road. We ran some errands then ran to the mall to visit santa. She was excited and chatting me up about it before we got there but clammed up when we saw him. She required a good bit of coaxing to get into his lap. I honestly didn't think she would do it but the lady taking the pictures was warming her up then finally asked if she would hand santa clause his jingle bells.  Before she even knew it, she was in his lap. She didn't say a word when she was in his lap but did briefly talk to him before she got closer. She told him she wants a turtle for Christmas. We ate lunch at the mall and she attempted a ride on the carousel but chickened out once we got on. The lady at the entrance was nice enough to give me back the token which I will save a try again another time. 



We then ran by the library to return the books on Christmas in Mexico and let her peruse a while. She picked out a book she knows from school and I picked two holiday books we can read together. She was so funny because she can not whisper but she sure tried!



After the brief stop at the library, we headed to Perkins Rowe to catch a movie. We saw the new Disney movie, Frozen. It was really good. This was Addison's first trip to the movie theater and I wasn't sure how she would do. It was suggested by a friend of mine to arrive late so the lights are already down, the volume already up and the movie starting. This was good advice but I underestimated the length of the previews. I told her it would be dark and loud in preparation but she briefly protested when we entered the theater. I just reassured her, picked her up and found a seat. Two bathroom breaks and we survived. She did sit in my lap the whole time but overall seemed to enjoy herself. Of course, the popcorn and fruit candy helped. Truthfully, I think the popcorn is the only thing that got her to sit down. It was a good movie, not to many scary parts and sweet story about family. 



When we left the movie, Addison said she wanted to go to the zoo. She's funny! It was after 4pm and I knew that wasn't an option. We stopped on the way home and both got our flu shots which was the only stinky part of the day. Our clinic does flu shots from 8-5 and I just hadn't had the chance to make it before now.  I was driving by and just decided to whip in real quick. I think it helped that we did it together, she made me go first. 

I'm hoping for the opportunity to take days like this regularly, if not monthly, at least quarterly. It felt like a very special day. We got a lot done...she was worn out and fell asleep in the car on the 10 minute ride home. 




1 comment: