At what point did striving to be a good mother/wife/homemaker become a bad quality, one you would accusingly discuss amongst your friends? And why, why would you degrade others who strive to be their best? What is up with that people?
Perfection does exist at my house, it's in moments, mere nanoseconds that I take great pleasure in a job well done. That one minute when the laundry is all done and there isn't one piece of dirty clothes in the hamper. That first five minutes when we get home after the cleaning service has come and I relish the spotlessness of our home. The pleasure on my daughter's face when she eyes the new spot where her Elf on the Shelf has relocated. I'm not striving for perfection though, I'm striving to be the best I can be at what is important to me. It is important to me to be the best mother/wife I can be.
What I'd also like you to know is, I love to bake, plan super fun birthday parties, over the top elf introduction North Pole Breakfast and I can plan the shit out of a three day trip to Disney World. I do these things because I enjoy doing it. I blog about it because since when is it wrong to take pride in a job well done. I don't have something to prove. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm sharing the things I enjoy with people I care about. Period. That doesn't make me an overachiever or a Supermom.
I'm not thin, I don't wear name brand clothes, I'll never be stopped on the street and complimented for my fabulous fashion sense. I don't have a beautifully decorated home, I often lose my temper, my husband is a saint for putting up with me, I curse like a sailor. I feed my family Chick-Fil-A probably more than would be allowed by the nutrition police. I spend way too much time on my iPad and not enough playing on the floor or outside with my precious daughter. I am far from perfect folks but I'm striving to be the best me that I can be.
There are also plenty of things I do that I don't enjoy. I make beds, I cook, I occasionally do the dishes and as above mentioned I loathe laundry but guess what, somebody has to do those things. We aren't the Jetsons, it isn't happening magically or by robots, we are getting it done. I, like everyone else on planet earth, am not blogging about the mundane, I'm blogging about the exceptional moments I'm most proud of.
I guess what I'm trying to say is do what you love! If you take pride in being very successful in your career - awesome! If you love going to hot yoga five days a week and look gorgeous naked as a result - rock on (and know I'm totally jealous of your passion). If your favorite pastime is being on the couch watching tv then so be it. I enjoy being a mom who has fun and I strive to make fabulous memories for my daughter so she can look back on her childhood in wonderment. And I'll do the best I can for as long as I can, or until she tells me she hates me which I'm sure is just around the corner, right?!?
Long live Supermom!







No comments:
Post a Comment