Sunday, January 16, 2011

Baby Watch 2011 (part 2)

I hope there aren't too many more baby watch 2011 posts...but here is part two. We went to the doctor on Friday and while there was some progress, not as much as I'd hoped for.

First we listened to the heartbeat, nice and strong at 147-150, she's still enjoying herself in there!

Second for the examination, 60% effaced (thinning of the cervix), very soft cervix and 2cm dilated. She compared the cervix to a tomato ripening, starts off firm like a green tomato and as you get closer to delivery it becomes more soft like a red ripe tomato and apparently my cervix is very soft (or like a ripe tomato!).


Third, we discussed options and again she offered to induce but Brandon and I have decided we would really like her to come when she's ready...within reason. You all don't have to worry, I'm not going to be one of those crazy girls who is still pregnant at 45 weeks! As miserable as I've been, I'm still surprised at myself for saying no and know that a lot of people don't understand our decision. Not that it is up to anyone else, but just to explain our decision, we really would like her to fully developed and come when she's ready. Also, for personal reasons I'd rather a natural onset of labor than an induction. I've read that being induced causes stronger, harder contractions and a longer labor and there has been some research that indicates a correlation between inductions and cesareans. Inductions cause longer labors that don't progress which lead to cesareans, and my doctor agreed with this. Now if I have to have a c-section, so be it but I'd rather it be for some other reason than I got impatient, so we are giving her until her due date, but not much father after that, rest assured! With that being said, the ob/gyn said she'd see us next week...scheduled our next appointment on Wednesday when I'll be 39 weeks 4 days and a it's a full moon that day!!! Fingers crossed...



1 comment:

  1. I didn't know all of that about inductions. I think you're making the right decision. Good luck!! Home stretch!

    ReplyDelete